It is medically proven that you need to practise regular physical exercise to stay healthy. This is what as known as 'health sport'. Is it hard to choose a particular sport? Charles Aisenberg, a sports physician affiliated with INSEP, recommends fitness walking for keeping fit.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF AN ENDURANCE SPORT
- It is good for your heart and protects you from high blood pressure and being overweight, both of which cause cardiovascular diseases.
- This helps reinforce your immune system and stops you from falling ill so often.
- It is good for your bones. Practising sport helps your body fight against osteoporosis.
WHY ENDURANCE RATHER THAN RESISTANCE TRAINING?
- In endurance activities, like 45 minutes of fitness walking, you promote regular oxygen intake. This is an aerobic activity, which trains your heart, unclogs the arteries and uses the fat to supply your muscles and sustain your efforts.
- In resistance activities, such as running a 400m race, the effort is more violent and you will be mostly holding your breath, thus removing the oxygen intake achieved through fitness walking.
HOW DO YOU DEFINE A PHYSICAL ACTIVITY?
- Endurance work lies between 60 and 75% of MHR
- Resistance work lies between 75 and 95% of MHR